Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Treat For Tuesday


This week's Treat For Tuesday features a pie that I make every spring. It is named after that famous horse race that is held every first Saturday in May in Louisville, Kentucky. It is a registered trademark name so we will call it Thoroughbred Pie, or Kentucky Pie, or Race Day Pie. It really doesn't matter what you call it. It is delicious!

Ingredients:
1 cup granulated Sugar
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
1-9 inch pastry shell, unbaked
1 stick melted butter
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Pour nuts and chocolate chips into pie shell, spreading evenly. In a small bowl, whisk 2 eggs. Add sugar and flour stirring to blend well. Whisk in 1 teaspoon vanilla and the melted butter. Blend well. Pour batter evenly over nuts and chocolate chips. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until nicely browned. Serve with vanilla ice cream or freshly whipped cream.

Until the day that I get to wear a wide brimmed hat and sit on Millionaire's Row at Churchill Downs, I'll just enjoy my pie, while listening to Dan Fogelberg sing Run For The Roses in the background and watch the race from the comfort of my old Kentucky home!

I hope y'all enjoy!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy!!

    I hadn't thought of that song in YEARS!! Now I'll be singing it all day. lol

    ReplyDelete