Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Like Sands Through The Hourglass...


You know the phrase "Like sands through the hourglass, these are the days of our lives"? I could say "Like the hands on this clock, these are the days of my life". That clock has been in that exact spot my entire life, really longer than I've been alive. It sits on the hutch in my parents kitchen. They received it as a wedding gift in 1964. I'm sure that the person that gave it would never have dreamed that it would be the gift that has kept on giving and giving and giving. A gift for the ages you might say.

My dad has always set it about 5 minutes fast in hopes that it might move us along and get us promptly to our destination. Mom and I always knew we could leave at 9:50 instead of 9:45 and still get to church in plenty of time. Sadly, we were notorious for leaving at 9:55 and were always late. Sorry Dad, I know you hate being tardy!

7:05 was the time that I watched for on school mornings. That is when I could expect the big yellow goose (my mom's nickname for the school bus). This clock has been the time piece for many important events in my life. I watched in anticipation of dates to pick me up for the prom, when I was in college it helped me leave home in time to get back to UK before dark when I would come home on the weekends, and I'm sure I gave it more than a few glances on my wedding day.

I can't remember a time when Mom's ringholder wasn't sitting next to that clock. Even today it holds her watch, 1960 class ring (which she still wears) and her wedding rings while she does dishes. These tangible objects have somehow become symbols of longevity. It's comforting to know that whether you are talking about clocks or marriages, some things do indeed stand the test of time.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful thing. What a wonderful reminder of the commitment in your parents in so many ways!! Loved reading this. :)

    ReplyDelete